Friday, October 4, 2013

"The Quarterback"

This post is going to be a little different from the rest of the posts that I've made so far and it might be a little emotional for me. I've titled it, "The Quarterback," because it is the title of the third episode of season five for the show Glee. If you have never watched the show it is basically a show about misfits (cheerleaders and football players are included in here) in high school who join a club/show choir. Each character goes through different experiences and situations that involve sexuality, relationships, social issues, etc. They become really close because of the environment of the club they are in and they form more than a club. They form a family that is there for them through thick and thin. I have grown to love this show so much because when I was in high school I was part of a choir, so the show hit home for me. I love all of the characters, some more than others, but everyone brings something special to the show. One of my favorite characters was Finn Hudson. He was the quarterback in the Mckinley High School football team and the reason why the third episode is named as such. Finn Hudson was played by Cory Monteith who was a Canadian actor and like I said, one of my favorites. Sadly, this past summer Cory passed away of a drug overdose. The point of this post is not to discuss how he died but I wanted to give a little background to those who might not have watched the show or know about what happened.

Having to watch Glee without Cory is probably the saddest thing ever. It is very emotional to know that he won't be on the show and that his love interest on the show, who was also his real life girlfriend, will have to go through the pain again. When I first heard of his passing away I literally couldn't believe it. I honestly thought it was a cruel joke someone was playing on the Internet but as more sites appeared with the news it came as a complete shock. I think that to this day I still can't believe or accept that he is no longer alive. I have two of the first seasons of Glee and I can't bring myself to watch them because I start crying. Its impossible to think of the show without one of its main characters. Cory was like the glue of the show. He completed them. Each character plays an important role but Cory had something in him that made the show that much better. Watching the promo for next weeks episode had be bawling in seconds because its so emotional. You are literally seeing actors reveal their inner feelings. You aren't seeing them act as if they were sad about him death because they are. Cory's cast mates have  had nothing bad to say about him when they are asked question of him.

I think one of the reasons why I am so much more attached to Cory and/or his character is that he faced a lot through the show. His mom was a  single mother, his dad was deceased, his girlfriend cheated on him, his girlfriend lied to him about being pregnant with his baby, he learns how to be a man, and it goes on and on. He is literally the representation of so many other people in this world. Sure there is other characters who face being gay or being handicap but Finn was different. In no way do I think that the other characters aren't as important but to me Finn was the person I connected with most. Cory was such a great actor and he was Finn. I feel as if that's who we kind of was in real life. I don't think I can bring myself to watch this last episode because of how sad its going to be. If you haven't watched the show I hope you do because aside from the continuous singing and dancing, which I very much enjoy, it is an amazing show for everyone. I also hope that people who are involved with drugs or any sort of substance abuse realize that their life is so much more important. They matter to someone out there and that continuing to damage themselves like that won't do much good in the future for anyone but most importantly themselves. I hope I didn't bore anyone with my sentimental side. I promise I'll be back to writing about my recent purchases that I've made. Tootles!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment