Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Holiday Madness (Warning: Rant)

I've been really busy with school and work at the moment so I haven't written much because I haven't had much free time with my laptop. That and I have been procrastinating loads with watching YouTube videos and laying on my floor contemplating life and everything else that comes with it. Today is a whole knew day (currently its night time but it'll be midnight in about two minutes so it still counts). Today, or more like Wednesday, my job had a little event for a few of us who had done a good job during a previous sale we had a few months ago. As I was waiting for everyone to get there, my boss tells me that for Black Friday this year we will be opening up at 7 p.m. Now if you don't know what Black Friday is, it is either one of the most hated or the most loved shopping events. In the olden days, people would have dinner on Thanksgiving night and the next day at 4, 5, or 6 a.m. would go out shopping for the "holiday season". There were and are sales pretty much anywhere. Now I participated in these shindigs as a kid because I thought it was exciting getting up in the morning and buying presents and such, although I didn't like mobs of people very much. As time has gone by, these sales have been getting a bit crazier by the year. Stores are opening right at midnight and other stores are opening earlier than those good old 4,5, or 6 a.m. days. How are you suppose to have dinner with your family if you are out shopping or working at 7 p.m. ?!

Now it is argued that many of us who work the retail system are aware of this when we first apply and get hired. That we know what we are signing up for and to be honest, yes we do. I'm not saying that we don't realize that people are going to be out shopping or that we voluntarily give up time to be with our families to go to work. We all know this, but when your store goes from opening at 12 a.m. to 7 p.m. Thanksgiving night, it becomes a little absurd. It is not even Black Friday anymore!? its just a dumb time to be opened. This is a growing argument when Black Friday comes around because a lot of people find it unfair. Personally, I think it is unfair but on the other hand I do work retail and unfortunately I have to miss diner with my family to go to work. I don't mind it in the least but there are people who take family much more seriously than I do. I'm not saying I don't love my family but they understand that I have to go to work and they are OK with it because they go out shopping as well and they see me at the store whilst they are shopping. Other families may think of it as the worst thing ever. Some people who work retail have kids and a wife or husband and I suppose I can see how the perspective of it all can be changed.

This is where I get a bit down and dirty. A lot of people go out shopping on Black Friday because they think they will get the best deals of the season. They struggle amongst many to get the latest video game system, the best clothes, the cheapest home appliances, etc. Some people get really aggressive about it all and even end up in jail. One year, a lady got a bit wild and pepper sprayed people so she could get an Xbox. AN XBOX!? I'm in no way, shape or form against good deals but when people get aggressive like that all I have to say is "Honey, you have to bring it down a notch." People don't realize this but many stores don't have amazing sales as people like to think. There are a few bits and pieces that are on sale that might be worth it but stores strategically only have about 50 pieces of that clothing item or appliance and even sometimes less. Last year, I saw the same sale prices on the floor as I did two weeks before Black Friday. I know this because I worked almost every day. I also work with pricing and I didn't see amazing deals. I saw about 10 things in the store that were worth being called a Black Friday Sale. It is not worth staying up late at night being out with wild people and risking yourself getting hurt for a pair of $10 boots. If you absolutely must go out and shop make a plan and do as much as you can but don't go "Mortal Kombat" on people.

A little advice from an associate, don't treat associates inhumanely. I know we aren't branded or treated like animals but people have such cruddy attitudes towards us at times that it makes us feel really bad or get really angry. Please realize that your cashiers are moving as fast as they can to get you out of there but there are sometimes really stubborn and rude customers that we can't just push them out the door as much as we want to. Treat people like you want to be treated. Don't go crazy with the clothes. There is plenty of sizes and you don't have to destroy a whole pile to get your size. I cannot tell you how much we all complain about people going through each and every size until they see one that might or does fit. If you know your size get that and if it looks a bit big or small get the next size up or down.  It is more likely that you will have a lovely shopping experience if you stay calm and don't treat us like crap. Sometimes we are more likely to give you what you want if you are nice to us and we won't resort to calling management or someone else to help you out. We will personally make sure that you get the help you are looking for. Do control your children and also keep and eye on them. I cannot state how children can get lost in large crowds. One year a little girl fainted and people were walking everywhere so if your kid is sick don't bring them along. Its all common knowledge that people ignore because of the excitement of buying cheap items. Trust me, its not that amazing once you've worked retail and notice how prices aren't really different. OK, I think I've ranted for quite a bit.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment