Friday, October 30, 2015

Cheap and Easy: Flower Crown



So as everyone knows Halloween is tomorrow and I needed to come up with a simple and easy costume. I decided to be somewhat of a mascarade "dia de los muertos", which translates to day of the dead. Its a celebration that happens in Mexico during the month of November to honor the dead. I won't be showing you the whole makeup (I'm not very good at it) but I will show you how I did my flower crown.






Okay so here is what you'll need:
-Flowers (fake or real); I bought mine at the dollar store and they look just as good. If anything you can roam around for sales at your favorite craft store like Michael's or Jo-Ann's.
- Glue gun and glue
- Scissors
- Headbands

First thing is first, make sure you know what colors you want to go for with the flowers that way you don't end up having to go back and forth to the store. Another thing be careful withe glue gun because it gets extremely hot and can burn your fingers (it happened to me).

Okay so make sure you heat up your glue gun and that you have enough glue sticks. Also a good tip is to first arrange the flowers in a way that you think looks best so that once you're happy with it you are ready to glue. I arranged my flowers around the headband first to make sure I liked how the base would look like. After that is when I started gluing my flowers directly unto the headband.



Once you have the base made, you can add more flowers to different places so that it looks fuller and with more volume. I decided to alternate with the flowers that way the colors would pop and make the flowers look a little more real. 

After I glued all my flowers unto my headband, I let the flue cool off a little so that no tugging would cause the flowers to come off. I made sure to be really careful and cut the attaching bit or the little part that comes off the flower to connect to the stem. This is just an idea but you can leave them if you want. I thought the little bits would hurt my head but you can also cover them with glue and it shouldn't hurt you once it dries. Again, be very careful not to burn yourself with the glue gun. 


 After many hours of labor, just kidding it only took like 30 minutes, you have something like this. You can wear it like a normal headband or you can slant it a bit so it looks like its an entire crown.



And here is me just wearing it at last. I hope everyone has a Halloween and remember be safe! 



No comments:

Post a Comment